Tuesday 16 February 2021

Black Belt

Every Chinese New Year I promote students who have earned their black belt. Their grading is, at a minimum, a year-long process and culminates with the promotion of the successful candidates at our annual Chinese New Year Banquet. The pandemic has forced this year’s banquet to the virtual realm but it has not prevented progress and success. I am proud to be promoting four students who have earned the rank of black belt.

What is a black belt? It is not the physical fabric that you tie around your waist. It represents so much more. Everyone who has earned the rank has had a hand in defining it. Earning a black belt is not only an honour, it is a responsibility.

Grand Master Olaf Simon, Grand Master Stan Lee, Grand Master Margitte Hilbig, Grand Master Mark Chan, Master Richard Shergold, Master Brian Macdonald,

Soke Dave McNeill, Master Tom Callos, Master Benjamin Ma — the list of people who have defined the black belt for me is endless. Each one has inspired me on my mastery journey.

I am responsible for endorsing four new people as black belts this year who will now have a hand in defining the black belt from this point on. I trust they will make all of my mentors proud.

“Life is not a brief candle. It is a splendid torch that must be made to burn as brightly as possible before it is handed on to the next generation.” - George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

No comments: