Friday 15 November 2019

So This Just Happened . . . .

I teach my students the importance of recognizing opportunities and getting the most out them when they present themselves . . . .

Thanks to my teacher, Master Brian Macdonald, one of the biggest influences in my kung fu life was Grand Master Stan Lee. Before passing away in 2003, the kindness and generosity he showed me changed my life. In the relatively short time our lives intersected, Grand Master Lee certified my black belt and continued to promote me, giving me a lineage of which I am intensely proud. I was a nobody but he had nothing but time and advice for me. He showed me the true meaning of humility.

Last night I had the unbelievable privilege to have Grand Master Stan’s top student teach at my school. I had always said that Sifu Ben Ma’s Hung Gar is the best I have ever seen. Having him teach at my school was a surreal, mind blowing experience of inspiration. Sifu Ben’s skill in Hung Gar and Tai Chi Mantis at 68 years old is something to behold. Like his Sifu, Grand Master Lee, Sifu Ben is amazingly generous with his time and knowledge.

As last night progressed, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude. Even sixteen years after his death, I continue to benefit from Grandmaster Lee’s kindness and generosity. I am so thankful for the opportunities that conspired to have our paths cross so many years ago and which ultimately brought Sifu Ben Ma into my life today.

“Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” - William Arthur Ward (1921 - 1994)

No comments: