Sunday 2 November 2014

I Ho Chuan

Mastery is not for the thin skinned, nor is it for those who have disenfranchised themselves from their circumstances. It is much easier to find ways to remain blissfully unaware of how much mediocrity has permeated into our lives than it is to confront our laziness and fear. Mastery is about honesty, accountability, and compassionate acceptance.

It is impossible to improve on anything if I am not first, and foremost, fully aware of where I am. Most of us spend an inordinate amount of effort toward hiding our flaws and avoiding the truth about ourselves. Looking myself in the mirror and seeing myself for how I truly am, is an absolute necessity if I want to get on the path to mastery. I must see the problem before I can find a solution. Honesty is key.

Accepting responsibility for my own situation empowers me to control my circumstance. It is much easier to blame others than it is to accept my own flaws so a major key to mastery is accountability. I alone am responsible for the mediocrity in my life so I alone have the power to eradicate it.

Mastery is a process, it is not a finite program or destination. The process usually consists of taking three steps forwards and two steps backwards. My flaws and weaknesses are always taxing my resolve and impeding my progress. I have to remember that it is those flaws and weaknesses that I am trying to address through the process of mastery. By compassionately accepting my imperfections, I give my commitment to the process a sense of purpose.

If mastery is a process then that process is engagement. Plans and intentions are empty goals unless there is some sort of follow through and consistent action. Everyone understands the role motivation plays in achieving goals. With the proper motivation, almost anything is possible. The thing about motivation is that it can be drained by so many of life’s stressors, many of which are beyond my personal control. The one thing I have complete control over is my engagement in the process. Motivated or not, I do have the choice whether or not to crunch out some more pushups or to attend a class. The more motivated I am, the more engaged I am - and the more engaged I am, the more motivated I become. Mastery is all about engagement.

“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.” - Martina Navratilova (b. 1956)

No comments: