Monday 14 April 2014

Pebble Meditation - Still Water

“Breathing in, I see myself as still water. Breathing out, I reflect things as they truly are.”

The third of the four Pebble Meditations to cultivate happiness as taught by Thich Nhat Hanh. This my favourite meditation because it is so visually reinforcing.

The image of a calm mountain lake can’t help but provide a calm, relaxing foundation to my state of mind. Physically reconnecting with nature is so important for mental well-being but circumstances do not always allow such opportunity. This meditation goes a long way to help me cultivate a calm mindset.

The image of a calm mountain lake always includes the undistorted reflection of the lake’s surroundings. The lake only reflects reality. Everyday brings emotions and attitudes that can distort my interpretations of events. This meditation provides me with a constant reminder to be mindful to not distort my experiences with my ego and emotions. There are always alternative ways of interpreting events and the more mindful I am to listen and watch with an open mind, the better chance I have of seeing things for how they truly are.

“We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.” ― Anaïs Nin (1903 - 1977)

1 comment:

Sharidactyl said...

So True, Thanks for reminding me of this meditation...