Monday 7 April 2014

Pebble Meditation - Mountain

“Breathing in, I see myself as a mountain. Breathing out, I feel solid. Mountain, solid.”

The second of the four Pebble Meditations to cultivate happiness as taught by Thich Nhat Hanh. Of these four meditations, I find this one to be the most difficult, and as such, maybe the most useful.

The idea is that when I feel strong, nothing can knock me over. When I feel stable, emotions do not overcome me. I may sway but I return to my centre, even in the midst of a storm. Alone, this meditation is a challenge. However, when practiced with the other of the four meditations, it is reflective and supportive of the other three.

“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” - Thich Nhat Hanh (b. 1926)

No comments: