Sunday 20 April 2014

Pebble Meditation - Space

“Breathing in I see myself as space, breathing out, I feel free. Space, free.”

The fourth of the four Pebble Meditations to cultivate happiness as taught by Thich Nhat Hanh. I appreciate this meditation as it has taught me the value of keeping my physical space clear. In my case, a cluttered environment cultivates a cluttered mind.

This meditation is all about creating space in my mind. I am reminded to leave my problems and worries where they belong and immerse myself in the present moment — fresh, strong, and with absolute clarity. I visualize my mind as a room. If that room is full of clutter, it is difficult, if not impossible, to move around freely. Likewise when my thoughts are cluttered, it becomes difficult to accurately interpret events, stress begins to be less manageable, and staying in the moment almost impossible.

Creating space in my mind, creates freedom. Freedom from stress. Freedom from worry. The freedom that comes from being in absolute control.

“The most beautiful things can only be created by the most free minds!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan (b. 1965)

No comments: