Sunday 26 January 2014

Succession Planning

I had the opportunity to attend the Ging Wu Chinese New Year banquet yesterday. It was my first opportunity to attend after a long absence. Grandmaster Stan Lee was a great influence in my life and I will always appreciate and value everything he did for me. It is important to me to respect his legacy and support the organization that he built.

It struck me last night how much the martial arts community in Alberta has changed. The core group of instructors are getting up there in age and it is a little unsettling to think about where things may be in twenty years. Alberta has produced some of the top instructors in the country and I have been blessed to have trained with and under most of them. I hope everyone has a succession plan in place to ensure their legacy is preserved. Moreover, I hope whoever ultimately steps up to fill the void, do their predecessors’ legacies proud.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more and  become more, you are a leader.” - John Quincy Adams (1767 - 1848)

No comments: