Sunday 2 February 2014

Sifu Peter McBurney

Our Chinese New Year banquet last night left me with my usual feelings of relief and regret. The night represented the culmination of years of dedication, climaxing with two months of relentless rehearsals and practice. Getting that monkey off my back brings a relief to my spirit but there can be no doubt that the months-long focus that last night brought to my life will be missed. The sense of accomplishment and camaraderie that comes from something like this is life changing.

My feelings of gratitude are never more intense than they are after an event like last night. I am so lucky to have so many amazing, good people in my life and I am humbled by the dedication and drive that I get to witness everyday. I do recognize how fortunate I am.

Last night’s event did not go without a few hiccups. I guess that is to be expected when there are so many unknowns that come into play with a new venue. One hiccup that is weighing heavily on my mind was my failure to announce Sifu Peter McBurney’s promotion to 3rd Degree Black Belt. Sifu McBurney was unable to attend the banquet so the announcement completely slipped my mind.

Peter McBurney began training in Shotokan Karate in Ottawa many years before our school here even existed and he is one of the most skilled and dedicated martial artists that I have ever come across. Peter does not say much as he prefers to do most of his talking with his actions. He is a formidable opponent on the mats and a valued friend to all who earn his respect. For me to be able to call him my student is something I will always be proud of.

“It is good to have an end to journey towards but it is the journey that matters in the end.” - Ursula K. Le Guin (b. 1929)

No comments: