Sunday 29 December 2013

1000

As the new year approaches, I am gearing up for my annual ritual of beginning my year with 1000 pushups, 1000 sit-ups, and limiting my caloric intake to 1000 calories. Starting the year in this way makes a powerful statement and puts some things in motion that serve me well.

One thousand of anything is a lot. Committing to 1000 pushups and sit-ups on January 1st makes me keenly aware of what I have been doing with myself up to this point — especially the night before. The consequences of bad food or a hangover are impossible to trivialize when you are committed to completing a major physical and mental challenge.

I get a lot of value out of my yearly ritual. Beginning a year strong with a major display of discipline sets myself up with the right attitude for success throughout the rest of the year. I have never understood how people expect to be able to stick to their new year resolutions when they spend the first day of the new year sick, recovering from a night of excess. I feel that the biggest impact is made at the beginning and at the end of an endeavour. If you start big and finish bigger, whatever happens in-between becomes less significant.

No matter what I choose to do or choose not to do on the first day of the year, my choices will be made with the mindfulness to make those choices relevant to the person I am and the person I am striving to become.

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” - Lau Tzu (531 - 604 BC)

No comments: