Sunday 22 December 2013

Wish

2013 has been a monumental year of change for me. There have been ups, there have been downs, and found within were many lessons for which I am grateful.  I approach my life from a foundation of gratitude and it has served me well. For that I am, uh, grateful. The year is winding down and it would be cool if it were to leave a couple of parting gifts behind.

My emotional engagement with my I Ho Chuan team is simultaneously represented by extreme pride and monumental frustration. While some of you have embraced the process and truly transformed your lives, there are still those of you who continue to approach the I Ho Chuan as a mountain to be climbed rather than a tool to be honed. I guess my wish for you all would be to recognize the irrelevance of the word ‘but’ when it comes to mastery.

“I had intended to journal every week BUT my internet access was limited.”
“I would have been at class BUT my car wouldn’t start.”

For a student these are excuses for not fulfilling commitments, but to mastery they are reasons for not achieving your potential.  Accomplishment is found in actions, not intention so the only relevance excuses have to mastery is how they identify the reasons why goals are not being achieved. Mastery is or isn’t, there is no A for effort.

To my black belt students, you are the foundation of the school. There isn’t a single one of you who has not inspired me and nurtured me. You guys are always there to support me when I need it the most. Having you all in my corner gives me incredible confidence and absolute trust in the future of the school. My wish for all of you would be that your leadership be always generated by a compassionate heart. A compassionate heart understands and inspires. Without compassion, there is only cold judgement. Judgement is always prejudicial and rarely serves. Honesty is very important but honesty without compassion can devolve into plain negativity. There are always students who will construe honesty to be negativity and you can’t always control that tendency. My wish is that you control what you can and generate your leadership from a compassionate heart.

“In the New Year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in want.” - Irish Toast

1 comment:

Sara said...

My wish is that your new life be filled with surprise and wonder.