Sunday 15 December 2013

Minimalism

It has been an ongoing personal goal of mine to reduce the number of my possessions to 100. I recognize that it is not a perfectly achievable goal but like kung fu, the value of pursuing it is found in the journey, not the destination.

Reducing possessions and opting out of the consumption paradigm opens up options for me and maximizes my freedom. The monetary cost of a possession is only one aspect of its true cost. It is easy to forget what the ongoing cost of keeping the possessions I acquire is. The consequences of big ticket items like a car or a house are more obvious. The responsibility that comes with purchases of those magnitudes is not easy to ignore. Job security and ongoing cash flow became greater priorities so I could service my loans and maintain my investments. My five year career plan instantly became a twenty five year retirement strategy. Options that were there the day before, evaporated the instant I took on huge financial responsibility.

There is nothing like a household move to help one understand the hidden costs of minor possessions. My move in 2006 opened my eyes to all the stuff I had acquired over my lifetime that I was not aware I still possessed. Yet each time I came across these forgotten items, they became sacred treasures that I was reluctant to part with. Luckily for me. moving costs, packing time, and the reality of a new house that did not have a basement all helped me maintain a logical perspective and eliminate some of the excess that had crept into my life. Freeing myself of all that clutter had a reciprocal effect on my mind. As my home became less cluttered, so did my thoughts.

I recognize that I will never get down to 100 possessions. My house requires appliances and furnishings and my garage requires motorcycles. Regardless, I will continue to reduce what I own and stay mindful of what I acquire. Nothing changes the world quicker than spending my money mindfully. Governments and corporations will always listen to the votes I cast with my wallet. Such is the priority of the capitalistic society we live in. Environmental responsibility and social justice? Never at the expense of the economy or revenue.

What makes this a super cool personal goal for me is the positive influences I am surrounded with. A couple of weeks ago I had a great conversation with Sifu Rybak and Sifu Robinson about the value of being minimalistic. Whenever you can share something this authentically spiritual with someone, it becomes that much more compelling. How lucky I am to be surrounded by like-minded people.

“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.” - Socrates (470 - 399 BC)

No comments: