Sunday 29 July 2012

Tools Versus Hoops


I am getting close to a black belt grading deadline. I am spending more and more time analyzing our school’s candidates and using their successes and mistakes to help me further refine our future grading process. This year we introduced a few more tools to help our students achieve the mastery that should be indicative of a black belt. Of course you can lead a horse to water . . . .

Something that has taken me a long time to accept is that a tool is only a tool if it is recognized as such. Unfortunately a tool for one person is a hoop for another. The difference between a hoop and a tool comes down to who you are doing the work for. If you are doing the work for yourself because you recognize the value in the rate of return on your investment, then your black belt requirements are accepted as tools to help in your success. If you are doing the work for your instructor then any tool I put in front of you will be interpreted as a hoop you have to jump through to get your promotion. Either approach requires the work to be done but it is much easier to stay the course mentally when you are using tools to blaze your trail rather than depleting your energy jumping through endless hoops and over various hurdles.

A team is only as strong as its weakest member. Teammates get support from each other and the team is probably the most valuable tool I have ever given my students. Not living up to your responsibilities and commitments not only have a drastic affect on the outcome of your efforts but will also have a negative impact on the rest of your team. Everyone knows that actions have consequences but what must be kept in the forefront is that inaction’s consequences can be far more damaging.

“It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.” - Josiah Charles Stamp (1880 - 1941)

2 comments:

Jill said...

I like how you have put this. It is so true.

Unknown said...

I really like this post as it got me thinking as to my hoops and tools. Sometimes I view something as a hoop until I realize it's a tool.