Monday 2 July 2012

Grandpa Was A Glowworm

It is hard not to acknowledge my own mortality when someone close to me passes away. I do the math and am acutely aware of how fast time is going by. So much to do and such little time. I guess I am at the point of my life where it is all about quality because the quantity will never be enough to accomplish everything I want to accomplish.

One of my favourite anecdotes about Winston Churchill comes from Helen Violet Bonham Carter —

"At the dinner-table, for a long time he [Churchill] remained sunk in abstraction. Then he appeared to become suddenly aware of my existence. He turned on me a lowering gaze and asked me how old I was. I replied that I was nineteen.
"'And I,' he said almost despairingly, 'am thirty-two already.'
"On reflection he added thoughtfully, 'Younger than anyone else who counts, though.' Then, savagely, 'Curse ruthless time! Curse our mortality. How cruelly short is the allotted span for all we must cram into it!'
"He burst into a diatribe about the brevity of life and ended: 'We are all worms... But I do believe that I am a glowworm!'"

4 comments:

Sara said...

This photo of your grandpa is always a favourite. Losing someone close is never easy and always a loss. I am sorry.

Jill said...

I had no idea Jeff, I am sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

We are sorry to hear about your loss.
-Mike, Tiffany and Julia

linda shipalesky said...

He lives on in your tribute to him, every time something reminds you of him, he is there, think of him often