Sunday 10 January 2010

So Say We All

We are all defined by the things we do, our actions reflect our thoughts and values. At the same time we are defining ourselves by the things we don’t do, our apathy and indifference speaking volumes about our personal priorities and values. In many cases our habitual acceptance of mediocrity directly corresponds to our overall level of discipline and respect.

It is easy to fall into a negative cycle of acceptance. There are a million and one excuses to explain failure and just as many to justify not even trying. I am always surprised how someone can be so nonchalant about failure after they have publicly declared their intentions or accepted a challenge. If we don’t take failure personally, then we really are not holding ourselves accountable. Lack of accountability removes responsibility and if no one is responsible, there isn’t much anyone can do to help. The only thing left in this state is acceptance.

I am trying to stay mindful of my present limitations. I have been suffering from leg issues for so long that I am not even sure if I can accurately recall what it is like to be pain free. It is important that I do not use my limitations as an excuse to accept the ordinary. I’m on the Ultimate Black Belt Test and by the very definition of the word ‘Ultimate’, I must pursue mastery everyday and never accept anything short of the extraordinary.

“When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and your discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be.” - Pantanjali

No comments: