Sunday 31 January 2010

Beagles Love Blueberries

I'm one month into my second consecutive Ultimate Black Belt Test and am starting to find my stride. You would think that continuing on from UBBT 6 into the Live Project would be a natural flow but the transition has been surprisingly challenging. The rhythm I maintained throughout UBBT 6 that helped me succeed is not quite what I need in to achieve my UBBT 7 goals. Once again I am expanding my comfort zone and adjusting to the situation.

There are some things I learned in UBBT 6 that are going to help me make even more personal progress in UBBT 7.

- 1000 reps of anything is a lot.
- A Canadian traveling to Alabama during winter tends to sunburn.
- 12 months is a lot shorter period of time than one thinks.
- Watching Master McNeill swat someone in the shin with a cane is infinitely more entertaining than receiving the swat yourself.
- A team is only as strong as its weakest link.
- I’m lazier than I thought.
- Nothing is for free.
- Journalling and tracking your progress is an important key that reinforces the process.
- Getting enough protein as a vegetarian takes careful planning.
- Doing anything with a group is a lot more motivating than doing it alone.
- Walking meditation with 300 strangers can be intensely intimate.
- Sitting meditation with swollen knees can be intensely painful.
- All the planning and intentions in the world are not worth a hill of beans if you do not take consistent action.
- 87 kilograms is a good fighting weight for me but 84 kilograms would be better for my knees.
- Sometimes listening can show more leadership than speaking.
- Getting and receiving feedback from your teammates strengthens the bonds of the team.
- It is never too late to apply mastery.

"Each painting has its own way of evolving. When the painting is finished, the subject reaveals itself." - William Baziotes (1912 - 1963)

No comments: