Sunday 15 August 2021

Valentino Rossi


Last week the greatest MotoGP racer on the planet announced that the current racing season would be his last. Nine world titles with seven of them in the highest motorcycle racing class in the world would be enough for him to be considered one of the greatest of all time but there is so much more behind the respect I have for him.

Valentino Rossi approaches his craft as an artist. His creativity and dedication are always on display. The attack lines he utilizes in a race are only slightly different than the lines his rivals’ use but those little differences reflect the gap between finishing first and finishing second.

Valentino Rossi’s mastery of the motorcycle is a major inspiration behind my pursuit of mastery in kung fu. His relentless pursuit of the perfect racing line is a constant reminder for me to keep learning and adapting as I evolve. Just because something is working great for me right now does not mean there is not a better approach that is just a couple of degrees to the left or right from where I currently am.

I am grateful to have been able to follow Valentino Rossi’s MotoGP career for over twenty years. He may be retiring from racing at the end of this season but his inspiration will continue to fuel my training until my days here are over.

“The great fights with your strongest rivals are always the biggest motivation. When you win easily it's not the same taste.” - Valentino Rossi (b. 1979)

No comments: