Monday 8 March 2021

Death Meditation

From the moment I was conceived, I have been on the path of death. The inevitability of age, sickness, and death are guaranteed for everyone. It matters not what your income is. These certainties are independent of your religion, your race, or your status. There is peace to be found in this truth yet we spend a large portion of the finite time we have in this life running from this reality.

It is in my nature to grow old. It is in my nature to get sick. It is in my nature to die. Nothing is as liberating as acknowledging my unavoidable nature. By embracing death, I am embracing life to the fullest. Perhaps that is why I am so at peace when I ride a motorcycle. I am keenly aware of the danger and risk associated with the activity so I am equally more aware of living and being alive — here and now.

“I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived.” - Willa Cather (1873 - 1947) 

1 comment:

Malinda Ferris said...

Thank-you for sharing this. I'm making headway with my acceptance of death, but I still struggle with the idea of not remembering my life, my kids, my loved ones, the way that I want to.