Friday 10 January 2020

Gone But Never Forgotten

It has been a rough couple of months that have forced me to confront my own mortality and stay mindful with gratitude for the time I have been blessed with. None of us get out of here alive so it is important to live a life of consequence.

Sifu Matthew Gingras was only around 5 years old when he became my kung fu student. I always admired how Matthew carried a perpetual smile in his eyes. Matthew was only 34 years old when he passed away on November 23rd. He was so young but he accomplished so much. Sifu Matthew Gingras was the first person to ever earn a Junior Black Belt from me. My respect for him is infinite. 

Sifu Randy Shipalesky passed away early this morning. Randy was my training mate longer than anyone else. I have a photo of my first Christmas party at Temple Kung Fu in the early 80s and both Randy and I are in that photo. We did not know each other back then even though we were training at the same school. Our relationship came full circle when I began Silent River Kung Fu and Randy became my student. Randy earned his 3rd Degree Black Belt and was our early morning kung fu instructor before he and his family relocated to Florida. Randy was one of the fiercest fighters I have ever faced in the ring and was an amazing father, husband, and human being.

Cancer took these guys way too soon but they will never be forgotten.

“Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it.” - Haruki Murakami (b. 1949)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My condolences. I think it's important to reflect on our contribution to our own "circle of influence" periodically, but especially when a friend or family member is taken from this existence before their time. We always think there is more time, and the truth is we cannot do it all, so it is important to choose wisely. I is hard to imagine how you would spend your time if you knew you only had a few months or years left instead of a full average human lifetime, but worth reflecting on once in a while to help keep your life path in perspective. I know I do not do this enough. I'm sorry for your loss and the families of these two members.