Monday 18 March 2019

Right Livelihood

We spend one third of our lives sleeping and another third working and serving our vocation and/or education. Using up a third of my allotted time on earth pursuing my vocation is a massive investment. My vocation better  be worth it.

It is important that my vocation is not directly or indirectly harming others. In that respect I have always been happy with my career. My last few years of my career had me feeling less fulfilled as I realized that, while my vocation was definitely helping others, I did not feel my personal commitment was making a significant difference in outcomes. I think everyone gets to a point in their career evolution where bureaucracy and business models are at odds with logic and efficiency.

It has been over a year since I made a major change in my life to bring my vocation into harmony with my concept of right livelihood. Stress is down and quality of life is up. No, the money situation is not better but money can’t buy back a third of my life.

I am happy.

“When one person’s livelihood changes, it can impact an entire family, then a whole community.” - Tae Yoo 

No comments: