Sunday 29 April 2018

Yesterday

Yesterday was a good day. My day started out with a signup of a past student’s daughter for my Lil Leopard program. It sure brought home how long I have been doing this. I am teaching the daughter of one of my students who was a child when I taught her. Not only is life short, it is fast as heck.

The next part of my day was spent teaching Chinese Lion Dance to a great group of people. It is always encouraging when I see my students improve so much week by week. I am really looking forward to next week’s session.

Midday saw a big turnout for our school’s Pitch In Project. Rotary Park has been good to Silent River Kung Fu over the years so it is always good to be able to give back. As long as Sifu Regier has been organizing this project, this is the first year in a very long time that I have been able to actively participate in the clean up. Nothing can compare to boots on the ground, first hand experience to complete that feeling of satisfaction.

By evening we were able to get some significant landscaping accomplished in our own yard. Lots of digging, hauling, and planting - I have the aches today that attest to the effort.

Our plans to finish our day curled up in front of the hockey game were going great until we got an unexpected visit by a squirrel. I had not realized that our 3rd story screen was not on the window I had opened the day before. One minute left in the third period and suddenly we notice a squirrel watching the game with us. Five of us spent the rest of the third period and two overtime periods trying to get the squirrel safely outside. I don’t know how he evaded all four cats until we noticed him but he is lucky to be alive.

I did learn two things from the experience. One - squirrels are a lot smarter than I thought. This guy had strategies and moves that were adapting to every plan we tried to employ. He was learning as the rampage evolved. And two - squirrels will stop to have a snack, even in the middle of a rampage.

“Fill what’s empty, empty what’s full, and scratch where it itches.” - The Squirrel of Winsor

2 comments:

Lindsay Gibbons said...

You could’ve at least let him finish the game before you kicked him out.

Alana Regier said...

I have a vision of Chevy Chase and his squirrel incident in Christmas Vacation 🤣