Sunday 25 September 2016

Meatless

I challenged my I Ho Chuan team to live thirty days as a vegetarian. Discipline is something that is never wasted and the things you learn about yourself when you apply discipline are lessons that you can apply to all aspects of your life. Of course a challenge like this is never as simple as it should be. Thirty days is not a long time but lifestyle changes, even temporary ones, have a way of polarizing people.

I’ve been a vegetarian for most of my adult life. My reasons for becoming a vegetarian are not the same as my reasons for remaining a vegetarian. While my lifestyle choices are personal, many people feel the need to defend their own choices when they learn of mine. Vegetarianism is never an easy topic to navigate. Most who query me about my dietary choices do not do so out of curiosity but rather to challenge me.

I am not an advocate for the vegetarian lifestyle. I am an advocate for mindful living. Being in the moment, and keenly aware of the impact of my decisions, empowers me. A simple thirty day challenge can change a life because of the mindfulness it promotes. The worst that can happen by accepting a challenge like the one I put before my team is that the status quo remains unchanged. The best that can happen? Infinite possibility.

“A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.” - Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

1 comment:

Khona said...

I read the title and had Heartless by Heart playing in my head. Meatless, meatless! Sin in the name of rock and roll!