Sunday 2 October 2016

Investing

Once again I find myself getting ready to grade some students for black belt and beyond. Vouching for someone so that they can wear the rank is a huge responsibility. Anyone who earns the rank from me represents me and everyone who has earned the rank before them.

Earning a black belt is a personal achievement. It is about discipline, perseverance, humility, indomitable spirit, and so much more. Everyone’s journey is unique. The quality of one’s journey defines the scope of their achievement. Two people may have the same skill set but what they had to do to acquire that same skill set will be unique to their personal situation and limitations.

I always smile when I hear one of my black belts say “in my day . . .”. Everyone remembers how much sweat and blood went into earning their black belt. Where memories tend to get foggy is how much skill we had when we first achieved the rank. No one's skill is pristine when they earn their ranking. A true black belt never stops working and evolving. A black belt is never perfect but a black belt’s effort is always absolute.

“A black belt is nothing more than a belt that goes around your waist. Being a black belt is a state of mind and attitude.” - Morihei Ueshiba (1883 - 1969)

No comments: