Sunday 17 January 2016

The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto

A couple of months ago I caught the end of an interview of Mitch Albom on CBC radio. He was promoting his new novel, The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto. I had not heard of Mitch Albom before this interview but everything he described about his latest novel fascinated me. I looked forward to reading it and it did not disappoint me.

Narrated by voice of Music, the novel follows the life of a fictional musician who’s life crosses paths with some of modern history’s real-life musical legends. What speaks to me is how the story highlights the power of engagement. The people we meet and the connections we make create opportunities that can be priceless. Reading the book I was constantly reminded of one of my favourite Thich Nhat Hanh quotes - “We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize."

For me reading is one of the best ways to educate myself and cultivate my thinking. I don’t find the time to read as much as I would like so I am always pleased when I find a gem like this novel.

Everyone joins a band in his life. And what you play always affects someone. Sometimes, it affects the world.” - Mitch Albom (b. 1958), The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto 

1 comment:

Lindsay Gibbons said...

I really like all his books. This one is in my stack to read. My favorites are Tuesdays With Morrie and The Five People You Meet In Heaven.