Sunday 24 January 2016

Injuries

I don’t think it is reasonable to expect to train in something like kung fu and not get injured. In fact, I can’t even recall a time when I haven’t been afflicted with one kind of injury or another. I’ve always looked at injuries as the inevitable consequence of pushing myself beyond my arbitrary limits.

Ideally, training intelligently helps prevent injury. Proper warmup, proper nutrition, and proper rest go a long way to prepare the body for the rigours of the art. What makes injury inevitable is change. My body is continuously changing. As I age, my body’s needs change and I need to adapt to that change. Injuries themselves can forever change the way I approach my training.

I have had my share of injuries, most come with no regrets. Every knee surgery came with a more balanced approach to my fighting and applications. Every separated shoulder came with a better understanding of repetitive strain and a better approach to training that is going to allow me to continue to train hard for the rest of my life. Some injuries do come with regrets. Bone spurs in my knuckles tell me that no injury, no matter its magnitude, comes without consequence. The ego boost that came from breaking bricks and punching concrete turned out not to be worth it.

“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.”- Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)

1 comment:

Khona said...

Who else can claim they broke flaming concrete with a broken hand? Awesome! Mind you, who in their right mind would... Hmmm...