Sunday 4 October 2015

The Path Taken

When I began studying kung over thirty years ago, I had no idea what I was getting into. Everyone has their reasons for beginning but those reasons rarely apply to why we continue. I’ve been training a lifetime and it may be cliche to say, but kung fu has changed my life.

I could fill a page with the list of benefits I have received from training in kung fu. In fact, that list grows on a daily basis. The lifestyle I enjoy is due to my health and my perspective — both of which I owe to my study of the art.

The greatest gift kung fu has given me is in the form of opportunity. I have met some of the most amazing people currently walking the planet because of the art I study. How many can say they ever met their personal hero, let alone go on to become friends with them? I’ll be starting November by travelling to spend time with a couple of my mentors. The trip is sure to recharge my batteries and stoke the fire.
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.” - Plutarch (45 AD - 120 AD)

No comments: