Saturday 18 July 2015

Sifu Eva Dennis

I cannot say with all certainty when Eva Dennis became a student of mine. I believe the year was around 1989 or so. Maybe earlier, maybe later. Regardless, it was many years ago. Most would describe her start in the kung fu lifestyle as coming late in life. Almost thirty years later, she is still hard at it.

In the martial arts community she is known as Sifu Dennis - the tai chi teacher extraordinaire under whose caring, watchful eye all Silent River students forge their tai chi prowess. In the Silent River Kwoon, she is known as Sifu Dennis - the strong, compassionate leader who sets an example of perseverance and dedication that has inspired every student that has been lucky enough to cross her path. To me she is Eva, my friend and confidante whose advice and support has helped make Silent River Kung fu the school it is today.

To practitioners of kung fu, our lineage defines us. What we are taught is coloured by those who teach us. Silent River Kung Fu is very privileged to have a martial artist as skilled and dedicated as Sifu Eva Dennis defining our lineage.

“I saw behind me those who had gone, and before me, those who are to come. I looked back and saw my father, and his father, and all our fathers, and in front, to see my son, and his son, and the sons upon sons beyond. And their eyes were my eyes.” - Richard Llewellyn (1906 - 1983),  How Green Was My Valley

1 comment:

Tania Brinker said...

I agree. I consider myself very fortunate to be under her wing.