Sunday 12 July 2015

Mastery and Mediocrity

I’ve had a few discussions this past week about the intense responsibility that some people feel when they commit themselves to mastery. If you allow it, the commitment can consume you to the point that you lose sight of what personal mastery is really about.

If I only look at mastery as being about perfecting myself through the discipline of my effort, it can become overwhelming. There is always room for improvement, especially if you are a perfectionist. To make that level of commitment requires relentless effort.

My approach to mastery is very simple — I do not accept mediocrity in my life. To me, mastery is simply defining my values and identifying where my decisions and actions are not reflecting those values. No plan, no commitment, just awareness. If I do not accept mediocrity, I perpetually make unconscious choices to address mediocrity. This approach requires effortless effort on my part. Simple yes, easy no.

“Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.” - Fulton J. Sheen (1895 - 1979)

No comments: