Sunday 26 April 2015

Garry Kasparov

I was listening to CBC Radio One this week and had the opportunity to hear Garry Kasparov debate how the west should deal with Putin's Russia. Isolation or engagement?

I have always been a proponent of dialogue to solve problems but I found myself to be drawn to Kasparov's argument that “It's not about isolating Russia. It's about isolating Putin's regime, which is a dangerous virus. You don't engage the virus. It needs to be contained.”

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Garry Kasparov. He has always been a man I admire because of his prowess behind the chessboard, but it is his work as an outspoken activist for human rights where he really earns my respect as one of my living heroes.

Garry Kasparov obviously has a deep love and passion for his Russian homeland. Despite the personal danger a man like him faces for standing up to a man like Putin, Kasparov continues to actively campaign against the Putin regime.

Agree with him or not, it is impossible not be be inspired by a man like Garry Kasparov.

“More and more people in my country recognise the dangers of having their governors appointed by Putin and having no influence in parliament because Parliament today is also following instructions from Kremlin and no longer represents its people.” - Gary Kasparov (b. 1963)

No comments: