Sunday 29 June 2014

Great Class

Had a phenomenal black belt class on Friday. The past few months have been the most productive classes I have taught for that rank. The consistent attendance by a core group of black belts has allowed the classes to progress logically for the first time for as long as I can remember. Even the vast range of experience levels has not hampered the flow of the class. We are accomplishing more than I thought possible and I am excited to see how the class progresses moving forward.

I am sure the new class time is helping the situation. Having my most advanced students for the first class of the day is allowing me to approach every class fresh, without the interfering rhythms generated by preceding classes. For the first time I am able to resolve a way to impart advanced theoretical and abstract knowledge in a way that benefits the new and experienced alike.

My goal was to document the advanced concepts that were covered on Friday’s class but when I tried to put the lesson into writing, it did not translate well enough to retain its clarity. Yet another reason why there is no substitute for first hand experience when it comes to mastering the art of kung fu.

“A moment’s insight is sometimes worth a life’s experience.” - Oliver Wendall Holmes (1809 - 1894)

No comments: