Sunday 15 June 2014

Intensity

An abstract concept like intensity in kung fu is one of those things that is difficult to define but is something I easily recognize when I see it. This can be frustrating for a student who is constantly being told to show more intensity in their techniques.

In a nutshell, intensity in the execution of a technique, is defined by the six harmonies. The three external harmonies are easily understood but the three internal harmonies, less so. Intensity falls in the realm of the internal harmonies — specifically intent.

What is intent as applied to kung fu? Intent is the sense of purpose behind an action. It is the spirit, the heart, the soul of a technique. Motion without purpose is just motion. Motion with intent is kung fu. A technique with intensity has intent behind it. With a sense of purpose behind my technique I bring mindfulness into play. That mindfulness triggers my eye for detail and attention to my skeletal authority, my centre of balance, and my force vectors.

It would be incorrect to assume that intensity is only applied in the execution of a technique. Intensity as defined above should be applied in every action and effort, no matter how mundane. Intensity is an attitude that must be religiously practiced before it can be consistently applied.

“The most distinguishing feature of winners is their intensity of purpose.” - Alymer Letterman

No comments: