Sunday 11 August 2013

Perpetual Victims


Some people are difficult to help. These people tend to be perpetual victims of circumstance. Things are never quite right for them as they struggle, too focused on things that are not perfect to notice all the opportunities they have in front of them. It is easy to get trapped in a cycle of self-imposed helplessness where it is easier to find excuses than solutions.

There is a proverb that says - "He who cannot dance claims the floor is uneven." The difference between success and failure often comes down to honesty. If I look at myself in the mirror and see myself for exactly who I am, and take responsibility for that person, I will work diligently to fix those things I know about myself that I do not like. If I am not honest, I will only see what I want to see and blame outside influences when reality does not mesh with my ideal construct. In essence, I victimize myself.

"Ninety-nine percent of failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses." - George Washington Carver (1864 - 1943)

No comments: