Sunday 18 August 2013

Connecting the Dots


Journalling has never been an easy undertaking for me. My thoughts and ideas tend to be very abstract in nature and I would describe many of my decisions and strategies to be intuition based. Obviously my intuition is based upon the sum of my experiences but that experiential knowledge resides more at a subconscious level making it difficult for me to provide logical explanations and justifications for the decisions I make and the value system that influences them. Hence why journalling is such and arduous task for me.

Rewind to six years ago. My friend and mentor, Tom Callos, convinced me to commit to a weekly journalling routine. Not something I wanted to do but my respect for Tom inspired me to go outside my comfort zone and trust his advice that weekly journalling is an important tool of mastery.

Fast forward to today. Weekly journalling is no easier for me today than it was when I started six years ago. In fact it is a little more difficult. I continue to struggle to find my voice and temper my postings so that they serve more than just a venue to vent my rage and frustrations. The world is not even close to being perfect but there are constructive and non-divisive ways of addressing the issues I am passionate about. I am learning and my progress continues to be slow but steady.

Despite the difficulty I face in journalling every week, the benefits I have realized by using this tool have been spectacular. I often talk to my students about expanding their vocabulary of motion and in that vein I have found weekly journalling has expanded my vocabulary when it comes to defining the benefits of kung fu.

A tool is only useful as such if you use it. I have used my journalling tool 299 times in the last six years. I have journaled about politics, the environment, mental health, kung fu, pets, and life in general. My postings haven't all been gems but each one served its purpose by helping me find my voice and learn what has gone into making me who I am.

“Words are the voice of the heart.” - Confucious (551 - 479 BC)

No comments: