Monday 14 May 2012

Masters of Simplicity

I have always tried to live my life mindfully simplistic. Minimalistic living has its benefits — less stress, more focus, and the global benefit that comes from opting out of the conspicuous consumption paradigm. As my mindfulness practice continues to evolve, I am much more aware of how complexity has a way of covertly oozing its way back into my life. With a global economic strategy that is dependent upon unsustainable growth, complexity is the natural order. Resisting assimilation is a job that demands full time vigilance.

Dieter Rams and Jonathan Ive are two Masters of Simplicity that keep me inspired. When I look at their work I find it impossible to imagine a way to improve the quality. Art can be found in everything we do when what we do comes from a place of mindfulness. Dieter Rams' Ten Principles of Good Design provide a framework for ethical quality in industrial design but also to any project that is worth your engagement.

Dieter Rams - 10 Principles of Good Design

      1. Good design is innovative.
      2. Good design makes a product useful.
      3. Good design is asthetic.
      4. Good design makes a product understandable.
      5. Good design is unobtrusive.
      6. Good design is honest.
      7. Good design is long lasting.
      8. Good design is throrough, down to the last detail.
      9. Good design is environmentally friendly.
      10. Good design is as little design as possible.

No comments: