Sunday 18 September 2011

Knowledge

The eternal challenge in kung fu is figuring out how to maintain quality in your skill across your curriculum before something else falls off your plate. It does not matter where your goal in mastery lies, there are always new ideas and concepts to learn and adopt while staying proficient with your existing expertise. I see my kung fu studies and associated responsibilities as being comprised of three major components — maintenance, mastery, and accrual.

I maintain the majority of my knowledge with a broad focus. In maintenance mode, I keep as much of my curriculum in front of me as possible. I make sure I have a strong working understanding and basic execution of the principles. My goal is to minimize any  proficiency erosion.

I have only a few techniques and forms in mastery mode at any given point of time. My focus is narrowed and I devote most of my eye for detail upon mastering these few techniques. Typically, I will rotate a single form and maybe five applications through a mastery phase each year while the rest of my arsenal  remains in maintenance mode.

Accrual of new knowledge comes from both outside and inside sources. When I am working on mastering technique, my main focus is on developing the six harmonies in the technique. This attention to detail will always open new insights that can be applied across the spectrum of my knowledge. I am accruing new knowledge on a daily basis by devoting myself to mastering my existing knowledge.

Accrual of knowledge from a source outside of my immediate style puts a lot of pressure upon my training structure. Learning something new and different is exciting. Since the new, exciting knowledge is the shiniest thing in my kung fu, I always want to practice it. As with everything, nothing is for free and this new focus comes at the expense of mastering and maintaining my old techniques.

For me, perspective is the key to proper balance in my training. It is easy for me to get lazy and focus on the new rather than the old if I am not taking care of my mental well being. I try to start everyday by giving thanks for the knowledge I have and reminding myself of those who trusted me enough to pass it on to me. The sense of responsibility that comes with this mindful approach is usually the only incentive I need to stay the course.

“I’m not young enough to know everything.” — Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

No comments: