Sunday 11 September 2011

Peace Now

It has been a decade since the world changed forever. Like everyone else, I can remember where I was and what I was doing the moment the news of the towers hit. I remember being horrified by what had happened but at the same time, not completely surprised. It seemed a matter of time before things escalated to a breaking point. Ten years later, are we any closer to solving our conflicts? 

I plan on spending today reflecting upon where we are and how we got here. I will remind myself of how much pain and suffering has been perpetuated in the name of religion and ideology and that there is no moral high ground for violence, anger, or revenge.

Peace can only be achieved if there is hope. Hope comes from understanding, understanding promotes dialogue and acceptance of responsibility, and responsibility empowers lasting change. 

“The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed in war.” - Chinese Proverb

No comments: