Sunday 27 February 2011

Grounding

I’ve had a pretty good week. I had the opportunity to connect with Coach Callos and a couple of my teammates over the past couple of days and its impossible not to feel great when surrounded with all that positive energy.

I met with my student team yesterday for our monthly meeting and came out feeling very pleased with the efforts of my team and how engaged they are at this point. We’re setting up some team projects for the next few months and we had a couple of great discussions.

Something that we touched on was the value of a vegetarian diet. We live in a province where beef is king so eliminating meat from our diet can be a challenge. Mindful eating goes a long way in motivating a person to stay the course. When you approach your diet in a mindful way, it is impossible not be completely cognizant of the environmental, health, and moral consequences of consuming meat and supporting that industry.

“One farmer says to me, "You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make the bones with;" and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying himself with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle.” - Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)

1 comment:

Karissa said...

As a vegeterian, I thank you!