Sunday 10 October 2010

Da-Da-Da, Da-Di-Da, Da-Di-Da

I have never been a big fan of politics nor have I ever belonged to a political party. In my experience, political parties seem more interested in serving their own agendas than they are in representing the people who they were elected to serve. Government policy tends to be more about securing the next election than it is about securing the future of the country.


As I mature I am slowly realizing that if I want my voice as a social and environmental activist heard, I have to become more politically savvy and active. With government policy being dictated by election strategy, we as individuals hold great power in determining the future of our country. If enough individuals are speaking up and holding our government representatives accountable for representing our views, we are going to be heard.


This Friday I have been granted a thirty minute meeting with my member of parliament. I was pretty surprised and impressed at how accessible he is. It will be a challenge to keep my thoughts and words concise enough to get my concerns across without letting things get so bogged down that I do not accomplish my goal. I have to remind myself that I need to plant the seeds of change, not expect instant results from a single thirty minute meeting.


“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” - Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)

2 comments:

Brandi Beckett said...

Good luck! I know how strong of an impression you can make in a very short time. I'm sure you'll stand out in said persons mind at the end of the day.

Unknown said...

Yeah - and if he doesn't seem responsive you can always put him in a lock until he complies with your demands!