Sunday 6 September 2009

Interbeing

Friday was the first anniversary of Travis Panasiuk’s death. It took so long to put that event behind me and now I find that even though it has only been a year, it seems like he has been gone for ten. For weeks prior to this day, I agonized over whether or not it was appropriate to contact his family. There was no doubt that the day was going to be an emotional one for them. Would my interference make the pain worse or would they welcome my sentiments? Ultimately I decided not to impose myself and so I let the day pass without contacting his family directly, but my thoughts and prayers were with them.

I spent my Friday thinking about Travis and how much he continues to influence and inspire me. Travis’ passion for his kung fu was infectious and I have used his inspiration to fuel my drive as I push myself to new limits. It does bring a smile to my face when I realize that Travis continues to live on in all of us. The fourteen months that he was in my life’s sphere will always be a part of me. His influence is reflected in every student I teach and in every person they meet. Travis’s soul has become imprinted upon all he has met, he is a part of our collective DNA.
“They are not dead who live in lives they leave behind; In those whom they have blessed, they live a life again, And shall live, through the years, Eternal life, and grow each day more beautiful As time declares their good, Forgets the rest, and prove”
- Hugh Robert Orr

1 comment:

Danielle Edge said...

I'm happy I'm not the only one who remembered this day. I don't think it will ever be the same, but we take what he gave us and live every day like its our last... All we can do for him is keep on smiling.