Sunday 2 August 2009

I Am Project - A Warrior

I grew up in a Canada that had the international reputation as a peace keeper. Up until Afghanistan I had never experienced war in my lifetime. Now Canada has been at war in Afghanistan for so long that there are hardly any children in the country who can recall a time when we were not at war. War is the norm for them and their impression of what it means to be a Canadian is vastly different than mine.

Support our troops. I am bombarded by this message a hundred times a day via bumper stickers. Support our troops. I am always carefully censoring myself when I express my opinions out of fear that I may be interpreted as not supporting our troops. I have nothing but respect for my country and even more respect for anyone who is willing to die for what they believe in. Our troops have my complete support and there is not a day that goes by that I do not reflect upon the sacrifice they are making.

125. That is the total number of Canadians who have died in Afghanistan while serving our country. At some point we all must ask ourselves the big question: What exactly are they dying for? Of course there are all the standard reasons: “They’re making our country safe”, “They’re fighting terrorism there so we don’t have to fight it here”, “They’re protecting our rights and our values”, “They’re standing up for what Canada believes in”, there are plenty of reasons. Support our troops. How do I best support our troops? Do I blindly throw my support into the war and not question the ultimate logic of waging an ideological battle without dialogue or negotiation? Does it really support our troops if I do not question the long term consequences of trying to solve a problem with a gun and an eye for an eye philosophy? Are my great grandchildren going to be expected to support the troops of their generation while they are fighting in a war being fought over the hatred our wars of today are creating? Maybe the best way I can support our troops is to ask the question - HOW? How does waging this war make my country safer? How do our actions and conduct at home and abroad reflect our values? I often wonder what the families of fallen soldiers are thinking when they see the country their loved one has died for, violating the rights of its own citizens and neglecting the very values that we are supposedly fighting for.

A warrior is someone who knows how to fight. A warrior has many means at his disposal to achieve his goals. Beyond the total annihilation of one’s opponent, a war very rarely resolves any conflict over the long term. It may suppress the conflict for a length of time but it does not resolve it. A warrior recognizes and utilizes the best method to achieve his goals. Sometimes the best method is not the brutal imposition of your will.

The best way we can support our troops in Afghanistan is by enforcing accountability at home and demand that our leaders uphold the laws and values Canadian men and women are dying to protect. It’s time to stand up and be counted.
“I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.” - Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

4 comments:

Sara said...

I can only assume you are referring to the issue of Abousfian Abdelrazik. As a Canadian who spends much of her time traveling the globe, I can tell you it disturbs me greatly that I may not have the support that my citizenship should ensure.

This is obviously a very provocative subject that you have handled well. Thank you for having the courage to speak up.

Jeff Brinker said...

As of this afternoon, 127 Canadians have died in Afghanistan.

Khona said...

I wouldn't let your worries about starting a volitile debate keep you from doing what you feel you need to. You are very well articulated, and make others see issues such as this in such a light that they cannot (or should not, if they care to listen) get mad and argue your logic.
Thanks for saying what many of us feel.

Sifu LaRocque

Joseph said...

This may be a bit late to comment on but it is always time to speak out against war and violence. How else are people and politicians going to get the message and know that we don't want the violence or hate of any kind.

In my life time I cannot remember a time when there wasn’t a war going on somewhere, Vietnam being the most memorable and Canadians were there.

Canada has always been called upon for peace keeping and has proudly gone. Our military is small, compared to other forces, and not adequately equipped but still remains one of the best trained military forces in the world.

We have a proud history of being fair, compassionate and friendly no matter where our troops went. This all came to an end with Somalia.

War in any form has always been an ongoing problem in the world since the beginning of time. Whether it’s a civil war, rebellion, revolution or massacre, or just a gang fight on the street . . . it’s still war. An unnecessary act of violence that has to stop. All over what? Different beliefs, religion, land or just the simple fact of hate, you don’t like the way they look or they are from a different culture!

As of Sept 7 2009, 129 Canadian soldiers have died for a futile cause that will never come to an end and no one will win. Ask Russia what happen to them in Afghanistan. Do we not learn from the mistake of others?

So now we have 129 more dead Canadian soldiers to remember on November 11. But, let's not forget about the soldiers who came home seriously wounded, who may have come home without legs, arms or worse . . . the soldiers who come home psychologically wounded, scarred and changed from the war because of what they experienced and what they saw. These men and women are changed for life. What about their families?

I’m still supportive of our troops and there is none finer than the Canadian military. Support Our Troops! Definitely, they to know that we won't give up on them. But it’s time to BRING THEM HOME!!!