Sunday 16 August 2009

I am Project - Engaged

As I prepare for what is usually my busiest time of year, I have been spending some time reflecting upon my goals and progress.

It seems impossible that I am over half way through my Ultimate Black Belt Test. It seems like I just started and am still building momentum. My UBBT journey to date has been one big paradox. While there hasn’t been a minute of any day that has passed that I haven’t been totally engaged with my test and working toward my goals, I have not accomplished nearly what I had expected considering the sweat and effort I have been applying. I have to admit though, this has been the best year I have ever had for personal growth.

I have completed 42,105 pushups, 37,617 sit ups, and 888 acts of kindness, My other numbers reflect the struggle I have had with my leg issues. My BJJ mat time has been kept to only 15 hours and promises to stay at that number for the duration of my test. The knees just can’t take the strain of the grappling. My form and sparring have both also suffered from my ailment coming in at 233 reps and 144 rounds respectively while I have been able to only accumulate 634 kilometers of running/walking. However, I am thankful for the opportunity my ailment has provided me. I have adjusted my goals to reflect my leg limitation and have broadened my test’s scope to include many organizational goals as well. I am definitely getting a great return on my investment with the UBBT.

For the first time in a couple of decades, I feel able to concentrate on my own training. This spring I got to spend few days with Master McNeill learning some of his cane system. I learn a lot every time I get a chance to talk to him. I can’t believe how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to hang out with someone like Master Dave. I have been accepted to study under lion dance master Yiu Tai Tung in Hong Kong. My legs won’t allow me to begin this training for a few more months, inevitably after UBBT 6 ends, but I am really stoked about achieving this goal in 2010 or 2011. Next week I will be traveling to study with Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh, one of my living heros. I am giddy in anticipation. What a year this has been so far!

“In the present circumstances, no one can afford to assume that someone else will solve their problems. Every individual has a responsibility to help guide our global family in the right direction. Good wishes are not sufficient; we must become actively engaged.” - Dali Lama (b. 1935)

1 comment:

Darnell McKinley said...

Thanks for opening the door to let us get a glimpse of how your doing...

I'm excited for the prospect of reading your post about your training with Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh, and I love the quote!