Sunday 24 May 2009

I Am Project - Proactive

I have twenty student members participating in the Ultimate Black Belt Test with me. While they were free to choose their own personal requirements, there were two requirements that I made compulsory for them if they wished to be a part of the program - a weekly public journal, and the no quitting requirement.

As a team, I have been immensely proud of their journalling efforts. Their insights into themselves and their journey have inspired and motivated me throughout my own personal journey. However with any team effort there are always leaders and there are coattail riders.

I had to question certain members of my team this week as to whether or not they have chosen to quit, despite their no quitting requirement. The fact that I had to ask that question speaks volumes. The UBBT is a public journey and if your own team member can’t tell whether or not you are even participating anymore, obviously you are not keeping your test public through your physical efforts or your journalling efforts. If your teammate has asked you this question and you have not quit, you must ask yourself if your actions are matching your words.

While I have struggled with leg problems since November, I have not struggled with my motivation or passion for the UBBT. I have been very proactive in ensuring I stay engaged in my training and thus even though I am behind on certain physical requirements because of my leg issues, I am staying on track. As Coach Tom said to me last week, I am adapting.

Looking forward to the Live Like a Champion Project in 2010!

“If you're proactive, you don't have to wait for circumstances or other people to create perspective expanding experiences. You can consciously create your own. " - Stephen R. Covey (b. 1932)

2 comments:

Darnell McKinley said...

Like the Little Engine that Could... I think I can... I think I can... I know I can....
Sometime it's an uphill battle so I am a little slower getting there... but I will not quit...

Thanks for bringing me along on the ride.
Sifu McKinley

Brandi Beckett said...

I think we all needed a kick in the pants last week and you gave it to us. Even though I've been working hard I still lag behind a lot so it really helped to hear what you had to say. Sometimes I get discouraged and I need to to be told to just get to work and do what I said I would do.

You seem to have a knack for saying what needs to be said. Thank you for guiding us.