Sunday 25 January 2009

Gung Hay Fat Choy

Chinese New Year is the busiest time of year for a kung fu school. The next few weeks are filled with lion dance bookings and celebrations while the previous couple of months have been spent preparing for aforementioned lion dances and celebrations. At this hectic time it is easy to get caught up in the grind and forget the significance of the season.

Every new year is an opportunity to reflect upon the year that just passed. The people I have met, the friendships I have fostered, the victories I have achieved, and yes, the mistakes I have made, the regrets I have accumulated, and the friends I have lost.

This is my time to reflect upon where exactly I stand today. I am the net sum of my achievements and my failures. Only by keeping both in front of me am I able to correct my faults and understand the true value of my accomplishments. Very few achievements do not include collateral damage.

The Year of the Ox begins tomorrow and I intend to enter the year with a clean slate. All my demons have been exorcised and my closet dwelling skeletons have been evicted. Perhaps this is the year that I finally recognize materialistic goals for the dead end they are and replace them with achievements of spirit and soul.

One of his students asked Buddha, "Are you the messiah?" 
"No", answered Buddha. 
"Then are you a healer?"
 "No", Buddha replied. 
"Then are you a teacher?" the student persisted. 
"No, I am not a teacher." 
"Then what are you?" asked the student, exasperated. 
 "I am awake", Buddha replied.

No comments: