Sunday 7 September 2008

Travis Panasiuk - Jan. 30, 1988 to Sept. 4, 2008

It has only been three days since Travis died in a highway accident and the intensity of my emotions is overwhelming. His very first and very last kung fu classes were exactly seventeen months apart - to the day. In those seventeen months Travis touched us all in such a profound way that his persona will forever be imprinted upon the spirit of Silent River Kung Fu and will always be a part of us. He was the best of who we are.

Travis’ life was filled with challenges, challenges that he addressed with his kung fu. Travis could have continued his life down the road of self destruction he was on but he ultimately chose a different path and fought to regain control. It was a struggle for Travis but it was a struggle he openly shared with his instructors. Travis held himself accountable and set an example that inspired and motivated everyone who had the privilege to teach him or train at his side.

Travis was well on his way to earning a black belt in a few years. I had often looked forward to that day when he would do his presentation on what kung fu had done for him. Oh what insights he could have shared. Travis was the living epitome of the impact discipline and respect can have on a life.

Ironically Travis had visited me several times in the past couple of weeks to talk about the untimely death of his childhood friend Brock. Travis was having difficulty making sense of such a tragedy. Today I find myself faced with the same struggle over Travis’ death. I hope Travis got more use out of the advise I gave him than I am.

I hope to honour Travis’ memory by approaching my kung fu with the same enthusiasm as Travis approached his. Whether it was forms, sparring, lion dance, san shou, fitness training, or tai chi, Travis put his all into his training and ended every session looking forward to his next. Goodbye Travis, you were not only the student we all wish we had, you were the student we all want to be.

“In my lifetime
I will demonstrate my lessons
Stop the cycle of procrastination
Live every moment
Let the past be history
Have the future changed
Control my thoughts
Forge my spirit
Create hope
Push forward
Pull aid
Forget weakness
Discover strength
Continue greatness
Allow All to share in my difference.”
- Travis Panasiuk (1988 - 2008)

No comments: