Saturday 20 September 2008

Busy

It has been a busy two weeks since my last posting and lots has happened. We destroyed one of our Chinese Lions after its performance in a memorial funeral service, as is the custom, and then wrote off another due to excessive damage from normal wear and tear. Since they were our Kwan Kung and Zhang Fei lions respectively, they will need to be replaced as soon as it is feasible. We raised another $250 for our Benevolent Foundation with a lion dance performed for Marlin Travel at Westland Mall this morning. The spectators were great and the team really fed off the crowd’s enthusiasm.

I have lots of sticks in the fire right now so the next few months will be quite hectic. Our annual fundraising event is set to run in about six weeks and we hope to raise a significant amount of funds for important initiatives. I am in the process of preparing for UBBT 6 with a bunch of my black belts participating as student members and I have Master McNeill crafting me a cane that I will use when I begin studying his curriculum. Busy, busy, busy.

While all this is going on I find myself pondering the current economic crisis the west finds itself embroiled in. I fear this situation may shift our focus from the environment back to the economy and I am not sure our future can afford such a distraction at this pivotal point in time. With federal elections looming in both the USA and Canada, I fear what mandate we may be giving our future leaders. Will we vote for what is right for the world or will we vote for what is right for our wallets?

Definitely a time for me to give thanks for my privileged life and perhaps remind myself of the responsibility I hold as a leader, a role model, and a citizen. By simplifying my life and keeping my focus on the important issues such as peace education, the environment and sustainable living, the societal paradigm shift required to make lasting change will happen. There has never been a more important time to step up and be counted.
“Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.”
John Quincy Adams (1767 - 1848)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Their are always issues and problems in the world to deal with.I find it to be good pratice to take a "me" time now and again, and engoy some the many privilages that only the privilaged have. But that is just me.