Tuesday 30 November 2021

Poverty

I have been meeting with other members of our community to discuss poverty reduction strategies. Today we discussed the resiliency aspect of the topic and I found myself handcuffed by my thoughts. 

If we're working within the existing parameters that have created the issues that presently exist, how can resiliency be addressed? 

Treating symptoms is not the same as solving problems. A municipality committed to eliminating poverty is not going to make a lot of headway unless we have a provincial government with the same level of commitment. 

One step at a time. 

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion about the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." - Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

No comments: