Tuesday 23 June 2020

Dad

Sunday was Fathers Day but of course with COVID-19 a simple visit is not so simple. My dad has been very isolated since the pandemic began in March. Up to a few weeks ago, visits were not allowed in his care facility so his only connection to his family has been maintained through telephone conversations. Not ideal for a man who is hard of hearing and struggling with his memory.

My visit with dad on Saturday was better than a telephone conversation but only slightly less frustrating. Having to conduct the visit outside while wearing a mask and maintaining two metres distance, made communication less than ideal. We had enough troubles ourselves understanding our muffled voices through the masks but his situation was that much worse without being able to see our faces and being even further away.

I haven’t hugged my dad for over three months. With the pandemic still soldiering on, I am not sure if it is even going to be possible again before his time here with me is over. I’m grateful to have had another Father’s Day with him even though it was less than ideal.

“Lately all my friends are worried they’re turning into their fathers. I’m worried I’m not.” - Dan Zezinho

No comments: