Sunday 8 September 2019

Clutter

It has been almost six years since I narrowed my focus on minimizing my number of possessions. The number I threw out there was 100 but even at the time I knew it was not a reasonably attainable goal. As I had previously identified, owning a house pretty much eliminates any chance of reducing my number of possessions to 100 but the exercise was never about the ultimate destination, it is about the journey.

This project has made me much more mindful about where and how I spend my money. I think about every purchase and evaluate whether it is a need or a want. That alone eliminates 90% of my bad decisions. I may not be spending less money but I am changing how I am spending my money. Less money is being wasted on things and more money is going toward experiences.

My garage still holds multiple motorcycles and my pets continue to beguile me into buying excessive treats and toys, but for the most part I am holding the line and I am happier for it.

“There is massive propaganda for everyone to consume. Consumption is good for profits and consumption is good for the political establishment.” - Noam Chomsky (b. 1928)

No comments: