Monday 26 August 2019

Norway

As I write this I am just passing over Scotland on my way to Amsterdam. From there I will be searching for the Norwegian Blue, pining away amongst the fjords of Norway.

I am at that stage in my martial arts career where there are techniques that I teach that I no longer can do. Five knee surgeries in my past have pretty much eliminated the flying spinning kicks that were my favourites only a few years ago. I now teach what I know, not what I do.

I thought I would be more melancholy at this stage of my career. I had imagined that once I reached this point I would be stepping back but I find myself doing the opposite. My fascination and engagement grows daily. The longer I train, the deeper my understanding. The art never ceases to amaze me.

So much more to learn. So much to be grateful for.

“Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.” - Monty Python - Dead Parrot Sketch

No comments: