Sunday 18 November 2018

Sifu Brenda Stoddart

This week saw one of the best instructors ever to teach at Silent River Kung Fu, teach her final class. Brenda Stoddart is leaving Alberta for BC and will be leaving a massive void in her wake.

Brenda was the first person ever to sign up at Silent River Kung Fu when we opened in our permanent location in 1998. I remember the day like it was yesterday, Brenda pulling up with her British Columbia license plate and signing up her children for classes. I was still cleaning the kwoon from our frantic preparations and renovations to prepare for our first official class in the brand new kwoon and there was a four foot pile of garbage in the middle of the training area. Brenda questioned whether or not classes would be possible in the two hours I had before class time. Classes went as scheduled but what wasn’t expected or planned was Brenda herself signing up for my adult morning classes.

Twenty years later, Sifu Stoddart is working on her fourth degree black belt as a much loved instructor in our Tiny Tiger and Black Dragon programs. I have no instructor more engaged or more reliable than her.

Sifu Brenda Stoddart is one of the best black belts I have ever trained and she is one of the most popular instructors Silent River Kung Fu has ever had. She may be leaving but her DNA will forever be part of who we are.

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” – Winnie The Pooh

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank-you Sifu Stoddart for the energy and effort you brought to the kwoon. My boys Leon and Paoul are better martial artists and people as a result of your efforts. (As I'm sure can be said of all who were under your tutelage). Good luck with your new endeavors.