Sunday 7 October 2018

Thanksgiving

I had the opportunity to ride my motorcycle for the first time in a few weeks on Friday night. I did not realize how much I missed it until about ten minutes in. My best meditative moments come while I am on a bike. My mind empties and I am precisely in the present moment. I need more moments like that.

Sleep has been difficult to come by in the past few months. My concern over the future my children face is never out of my thoughts. We have already crossed a tipping point where the catastrophic consequence of global warming is no longer something we can avert. It is not a matter of if, it is just a matter of when - and, from what I am seeing, when begins now.

Thanksgiving is a heartening reset bringing gratitude, and gratitude is always a welcome anchor to the present moment. I have a lot l am grateful for and despite the carnage being inflicted upon my children’s future, I will strive to use this holiday to inspire my gratitude to stay in front of me beyond the opportunity this weekend provides.

“People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child—our own two eyes. All is a miracle.” - Thich Nhat Hanh (b. 1926)

No comments: